
On 16th September 2007, I had the opportunity to watch a play in KL Pac entitled 4.48 Psychosis with my other coursemates. Actually, this is my first experience to watch a play and I’m so excited about it. I try to find some information about the play in the internet because I don’t want to be puzzled and look stupid during the play and guess what I’ve found. 4.48 Psychosis is a 1999 play by British playwright named Sarah Kane and this is her last work (that makes this play another reason to watch, isn’t it?). The play is written from the point of view of someone with bipolar disorder, a disorder from which Kane suffered. The title of the play refers to the exact time of night around which suffering people report feeling very clear and sane.
Do all these information help me when I watched the play? It does but not much really. There are 3 actors in this play, 2 women and a man and I failed to guess which one of them is the patient as they are taking turn to be the patient and the therapist. However, with limited actors and only a few of props, this play is not a disappointment. The management of the lighting is great as it helps the audience to better understand with the play. Sometimes there is no light at all, it is totally dark and I am afraid that when the light is on the actor is standing next to me (sounds very foolish for a first timer). I am amazed with their performance because they really taken up their role very well. Their facial expressions really portray their feelings and to perform in front of live audience and at the same time memorize such a long script really fascinates me a lot. At first I thought this play is carried on a stage but in contrast the sitting for the audience is surround the play. The actors are in the middle hence the eye contact between them and the audience is there. In the end I am satisfied and I think I became addicted with it. So guys, tell me what play we are going to watch next?
Do all these information help me when I watched the play? It does but not much really. There are 3 actors in this play, 2 women and a man and I failed to guess which one of them is the patient as they are taking turn to be the patient and the therapist. However, with limited actors and only a few of props, this play is not a disappointment. The management of the lighting is great as it helps the audience to better understand with the play. Sometimes there is no light at all, it is totally dark and I am afraid that when the light is on the actor is standing next to me (sounds very foolish for a first timer). I am amazed with their performance because they really taken up their role very well. Their facial expressions really portray their feelings and to perform in front of live audience and at the same time memorize such a long script really fascinates me a lot. At first I thought this play is carried on a stage but in contrast the sitting for the audience is surround the play. The actors are in the middle hence the eye contact between them and the audience is there. In the end I am satisfied and I think I became addicted with it. So guys, tell me what play we are going to watch next?
1 comment:
I certainly agree with you, Lenny. 4.48 Psychosis is an interesting play to watch. For the most part, what I really appreciate about this play is because it gives me good experience after watching it. In the beginning, I felt confuse about the three characters role and I also fail to guess which one of them is the patient as they are taking turn to be the patient and the therapist. However I found out that there is only one character play three character role. In my point of view, this is not an easy task to do. I also really amazed with their energetic performances and they did it very well. There are only some minor weakness in this play which is the used of taboo words quite a number of time during the play. I think this is not really appropriate because some people watch this play for academic purpose. Overall, I feel satisfied and wish to watch another interesting play later!
Post a Comment