Thursday, August 2, 2007

me and antigone

Yesterday during the drama class, we learned about the play Antigone (pronounced it as An-tih-gnee, not An-ti-gon) by Sophocles. At first, I was afraid because I forgot to find the Sphinx’s riddle and the poem about the ages of man written by William Butler Yeats. But, Dr.Edwin gave us another chance to find it and bring it to the next class. As for the Antigone play, I read the text before during the holiday but it is hard for me to understand it wholly as the play deals with an old style of language and words. Luckily, he going through the text and discusses it together with the class. We learned some literary terms yesterday as such foreshadowing and metaphor. Before this, I always said that the meaning of metaphor is you said something but you mean something else. However, the accurate meaning of metaphor is actually where there is a comparison between two dissimilar things but rather they have something in common. I’ve also learned a new word yesterday that is folly. Folly is the same meaning as foolishness and its antonym is shrewd and wise. Shrewd is where the person use his wisdom doing things that did not get him into trouble.

No comments: