During this class, we continue studying the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw. Actually I do more prefer if Dr. Edwin read and study the play in class because it helps me to understand the play better. However, during this class Dr. Edwin kept reminding us that some lines suppose to be funny and we should laugh at it. For me, I do realize that some line is humorous but not until make me laugh only makes me put a smile on my face.
We studied Act II and Act III where the scene in Act III is happen after 6 months from Act II. As from what I notice from both scenes, people are judged from the way they speak. In turns, also reflects their social class. Same things happen to Eliza Doolittle as she wanted to change her status at least by the way she speaks because she will get better jobs and more respected by society. I adore this character because she is taking an effort to change her life. Ironically, she was asking for a help from Higgins who looks like a gentleman but the truth is he slightly no different from Eliza. He swears and has an improper manner even in front of a guest.
Here makes me think that it doesn’t mean that if you can speak well with a correct grammar or exact pronunciation shows that you are a gentleman or a good person. I mean usually it is but it is not necessary. Take Eliza for example, she is coming from a poor family but she do have a good heart. She speaks an improper language but do not mean to hurt others unlike Higgins who is considered as a gentleman but acts rude to everyone and feeling so proud with himself.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment